If Councils want to demolish people’s homes and issue Compulsory Purchase Orders it should be their responsibility as a local authority on behalf of their residents to show that they have exhausted all other avenues in the creation of new houses.
Five new homes on each of Lambeth’s 200 estates, or 15 on the 75 estates they have assessed, would meet the 1000 council homes they have pledged to build. If this were an unfit body, a doctor would surely recommend little and regular exercise.
Build over – with retention of the existing homes
- Increase the required percentage of social rented / council homes required in every new development at planning permission stage.
- Remove the phrase ‘Affordable’ from planning legislation. 80% of market rate is not affordable.
- Increase penalties for landlords of owners with empty homes.
- Introduce repossession through CPO of empty homes.
- Increase rates on landlords and second-home owners.
- Increase CIL and Section 106 towards the constuction of new Council Homes.